Saturday, March 29, 2014

How I Pack for a Trip

Whether the trip is for a week or longer, I pack the same.  I use the Rick Steves rolling carry-on:


It is 13½" x 20" x 9" and weighs only 6 pounds! 

I pick a neutral color for my wardrobe, usually black.

I bring 3-5 different colors of the LL Bean Pima Cotton Short-sleeve shirt. 


They are dressier than a regular t-shirt, layers well with other clothes, and holds it shape after washing in a sink and hang drying.  Sometimes I have to iron it before I wear it.  I plan on wearing each shirt at least 2-3 times during the trip.  The only person that's going to see you in the same clothes is your traveling companion(s).
The LL Bean Pima Cotton Button-Front shirt is great to dress up an outfit and to add a layer of warmth.  I will also bring a black LL Bean Pima Cotton V-Neck as a less dressy option for layering:


 I wear black jeans or black knit pants, depending on the weather where I will be visiting.


I like to accessorize my outfits with scarves such as these from Banana Republic:







I keep my jewelry simple.  I don't want to attract attention to myself.  I like to wear gold or silver hoop earrings like these from Kohls:






Comfortable walking shoes are very important!  I like these Clark shoes for sightseeing:




 I like to bring an extra pair of shoes or sandals that I can wear at night that will give my feet a break from walking all day.  These Naturalizer sandals are great for doing just that:




Depending on the weather, I will also bring a jacket like these from Magellan's:


 The Cafe Coat, which is lighter weight and great for warmer climates.


Or the Ponte Knit Field Jacket, which is medium-weight.


The Adventure and Travel Convertible Jacket is lightweight.  The sleeves are detachable and it can be worn as a vest.

If I am going on a cruise and there's going to be a "dress-up" night, I wear a black LL Bean Pima Cotton short sleeve shirt


 and a black skirt like this one from Old Navy:




I will also wear this burnout cardi from Downeast Basics over the t-shirt:



I bring a pair of dressy sandals to wear with the outfit like these Dyeables Penelope:




I accessorize it with an inexpensive pearl necklace and earrings like these from Kohl's:




I don't believe in packing my expensive jewelry for a trip.  Inexpensive pieces work just fine for me.

All of these items fit in the carry-on suitcase.  I also add 5 pairs of underwear and socks.

I also pack the Rick Steves Civita Day Pack into my luggage to use as I'm sightseeing:


I wear the Rick Steves Civita Pouch as a purse on the plane, and when I'm out sightseeing:




 For my "under the seat" bag, I bring the Rick Steve Euro Shoulder Tote:



 In this bag I bring a change of clothes and underwear (in case my luggage gets lost), toiletries, makeup, reading book, snacks, camera, a guidebook for my first destination, and anything else I might need on the airplane.





No comments:

Post a Comment